Sunday, March 31, 2013

Widow's Offering

Lee is one of the street people who is a regular fixture on the stairs of our Church most Sunday mornings. Some people walk past him and look the other way, others complain about the nuisance and yet others have come to befriend him.

Today, as Lee greeted people who entered our spiritual home (with his hand out), he carried with him a photo of himself with his two year old grandson.  He proudly showed me this framed photo indicating that he had only met this child a couple weeks ago. Lee is a very proud grandfather. Naturally I congratulated him about his very handsome little grandson.

We often share the crafts made during the Liturgy of the Word with Children, with some of our street people friends and today would be no different.  Children decorated mini cupcakes with a chocolate cross and sugar flowers and placed these into little cardboard carriers bearing the words "Alleluia! He is Risen!"  One little friend offered to bring a cupcake to Lee. I am very proud of our children's acceptance of the street people. Our children truly live Christian lives.

To my surprise, as I was leaving the Church this morning, Lee approached me with a dollar and asked if I would add it to the collection.  Needless to say, I was very moved by his generous donation. Although he does not enter our place of worship, through our growing relationship, I have come to feel that Lee is a member of our spiritual family. 

This morning, Lee, in an act reflecting the Widow's Offering, demonstrated once again the work of the Spirit in this world, indeed, He is Risen.


Happy Easter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment