Sunday, October 20, 2013

Good Shepherd at Work

This week I had a most unexpected experience. While working with families to help their children prepare for the sacrament of reconciliation I took the opportunity to take the parents aside to discuss faith, while the children learn about the concepts of life, love, joy and hope (with other leaders).

I had my sacred space set up before parents walked in.  They gathered around the table and I introduced the exercise.  I had 12 sheep and a shepherd on the table. I had planned an adult version of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.

While I prepared for this evening, I  had found three different pieces of the Good Shepherd parable in my children's lectionaries.  This allowed us to read, reflect and then go to the next section (book). So we had three discussion/reflection opportunities.   This was a very quiet group. I would ask a question and then rephrase it and still not get much of a response. Silence was my best friend. 

When we were done, I discussed the next activity - I gave parents a note book and encouraged them to reflect on the Good Shepherd and the message for them as parents of children preparing to receive the gift of Reconciliation for the first time. Wow!  The silence had left them loads of time to think - some people wrote volumes!  I also left a sheet of stickers with bible based sayings around forgiveness that parents could use to label their notebooks - those were really well received! Then I gave parents a blank game board.  I encouraged parents to fill in blanks on the board with things they could do with their child to promote the experience of the Good Shepherd in their lives. Parents were given pens, crayons, stickers etc. Parents quietly created creative and 'full' game boards.  They had so many great ideas of things to do with their children.

Then I reunited parents and children, gave them game instructions and playing pieces and encouraged them to play. Again wow!!!  Parents and children played, discussed and reflected together.  it was amazing to watch the sharing of some pretty deep stuff. Then...I saw some parents offer their notebook for their child to read or parents read from their notebook to their children. Shivers!!!

This was an incredible experience to witness and be part of. I read three stories, Christ did all the work!

No comments:

Post a Comment