Saturday, January 22, 2011

Surprise

Today is a special day for me.

I prefer to celebrate the anniversary of the day I came into this world quietly, perhaps in the company of my spouse and children, but with little fanfare.

I have learned that my love has designed a 'surprise' for me. He has invited all of our children, family members and some friends to dinner at a local restaurant. Of course, this dinner is supposed to be for just the two of us.

I do not like to be surprised. Thus it is likely a very good thing that I have learned of this plan in advance. I have spent days (weeks?) thinking of ways to thwart this plan. I could feel ill, I could be honest and reveal what I know, or I could suggest an alternative plan at the last minute.

However, over the last few days, it has become more apparent to me that if my love has taken the time and trouble to try to surprise, perhaps I should honour that gift, by acting surprised.

A very dear friend explained to me once that our friends and families look forward to those occasions when they can honour someone that they love. We do not do this often enough and celebrating milestones offers us such an opportunity.

Tempting as it is for me to avoid being feted. I chose to honour their gift by enjoying my time with them as difficult as it is for me.

Imagine if when we prayed to God in appreciation and He denying us that prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment