Friday, December 2, 2011

Being There

Sometimes, I am drawn inexplicably to a situation, knowing that I need to be there, but not understanding why.

Such was the case today, when I knew that I should attend a Mass celebrating the life of St. Francis Xavier. It was a mild evening, so I walked to the Church. There I saw many people I knew and some I did not.
Although I sat alone, I celebrated, sang and prayed with those who were gathered.

After Mass, that voice, the one I know as Christ, advised me to remain in the Church while others gathered for festivities in another area. Quiet and immersed in the stillness of His presence, I heard Him direct me to the back of the church.

I followed the directive and there met a priest whose name I did not know.  We chatted and in that exchange, I learned why I was there. We shared a common heritage and connected quickly on this count. We also shared a common Catholic heritage and spoke in terms familiar to us, but perhaps not familiar to others, as I allowed my inner voice to speak. I know that what I said lightened his burden. When we parted I knew that I had done my job.

I left the church, walking home in the gently falling snow, filled with the knowledge that when I let Him lead, He always shows me the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment