Monday, October 1, 2012

In 1984

It was March 1984, when I was privileged to be introduced to a wonderful older lady whose gentle grace lefts its lasting mark with me.

Although, I can no longer recall how it was that I had been invited to attend a special reception in this lady's honour, I know it had to do with the family connections of a university friend. Despite the room filled with people, this great athlete took time to meet and greet each person.  I remember her smile, when her eyes first met mine.  I recall fondly our brief conversation, during which I had mentally planned to 'gush' about my admiration of her accomplishments, that turned instead to her interest in me.  She inquired about my link to her favourite sport and encouraged me to continue to share my passion. 

Many years later, I met her again.  Once more, she focused on those people in  her presence, driving attention away from her standing in the world of sports. Hers was a spirit and passion for others that cannot be forgotten.

Barbara Ann Scott won Canada's only Olympic gold medal in women's figure skating in 1948 in St. Moritz, Switzerland.  A lifetime spent receiving honours for this achievement did not seem to change her.  While she happily recalled this accomplishment, her focus was always on the future and on those around her.

Thank you Barbara Ann for a wonderful example of a life well lived.

Farewell Sweet Lady.


No comments:

Post a Comment