Friday, May 27, 2011

You Never Know

A big surprise awaited me at work over the past few days.

You see, my day job is to raise awareness of the issues surround the misuse of drugs and alcohol. However, over the years, I have come to recognize that many people use substances because they are covering up how they feel about themselves (usually as a result of how others have treated them). In the health care field we often talk about marginalized people - folks pushed to the edges of society. Many of these people use substances.

Yesterday, I was called into the office of our Director. This doesn't happen very often. He and the senior management team wanted to offer me a part time position looking into how marginalization and other health inequities impact the health of people. During the other part of my time I would continue with some of my work in awareness raising around substances. This is the perfect marriage of two issues I care very passionately about.

Most days I go about my job quietly trying to get the most out of every minute. Rarely am I aware that others are watching. In my personal life I am active in causes that deal with issues of poverty, homelessness and marginalization.

This new assignment is a dream come true for me. My passions will now be applied synergistically in my work world. I can't help but know that even though my director made this offer, it was the hand of my Higher Power who made it happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment