Saturday, July 2, 2011

At 144

For as long as I can remember, in our family, Canada day began with a visit to the local celebrations that included a multicultural festival.

This year was a first.  After the passing of my dad in 2004, I found this celebration emotionally difficult.  This year, would have been my first visit to the festival without my mom.  For reasons of personal sanity, I chose deliberately to avoid the event.

That morning as I prepared for a leisurely day at our cottage, I had moments during which I felt drawn to visit the festival, but I knew that going would just be rough.

During lunch at the cottage with an invited guest, I learned that my guest had never visited this festival that I avoided this year. He never wanted to go without company with whom he could enjoy the entertainment. It is sad that the object of my avoidance, could also be the object of his longing.

My resolution: next year, if I feel up to it.  I bring him to enjoy this display of our rich cultural heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment